Issuing a Purchase Return in ERPNext
A purchase return transaction is when the buyer of merchandise, inventory, fixed assets, or other items sends these goods back to the seller.
The Purchase Return feature allows the user to return these items back to the supplier. Reason for return could be defects in goods, quality not matching, the buyer not needing the stock, etc.
- Purchase Invoice or Purchase Receipt
Create a Purchase Return from Purchase Receipt
- Log into your ERPNext account
- Click on Buying
- Go to Purchase Order. Select the Purchase Order the Purchase Receipt was created for and click Purchase Receipt.
You may also simply use the Search function and look for the “Purchase Receipt List”.
4. Select the Purchase Receipt from the list.
5. Click ‘Create’ and select Purchase Return.
6. A Purchase Receipt Document will be created with “Is Return” selected. Take note that Items, Rate, and taxes will be negative numbers.
7. Update the quantity to be returned. This should still be in negative.
8. On submission of Purchase Return, the system will decrease item quantity from the mentioned Warehouse. The Stock Ledger will look like this.
9. In the Accounting Ledger, the Inventory Warehouse account will be credited and the Stock Received but Not Billed account will be debited.